Renaming a Domain in Windows Server 2003
Many people are asking how to perform a domain rename using Windows Server 2003.
So I want to list the major points of a domain rename together with the links you
need to perform the rename.
The major points for domain rename are
And last but not least:
- A no go are Certificate Services in your environment
- all DCs need to be Windows Server 2003, the Domain and Forestlevel must be Windows
- the number of Domains keeps the same, domain rename is no tool to
remove or add domains
- all clients and memberserver must be rebooted twice, NT-Machines need
to be removed and readded to the domain
- most likely there are applications which need to be adjusted on the
clientside to the new FQDN
- you should test the domain rename procedure and all applications
- it is important to use the current domain rename tool out of the Web
(see below) the one which comes on the CD has bugs
- read the domain rename guide - do not stop until you are at the last
page. Many people make the error not finishing the domain rename 100%
because they think they are finished when the guide talks about
specific scenarious to take care of. There's more afterwards.
Here are the links:
Windows Server 2003 Domain Rename Tools http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx
Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Domain Rename http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/f/c/cfcbff04-97ca-4fca-9e8c-3a9c90a2a2e2/Domain-Rename-Procedure.doc
Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Domain Rename Tools http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/d/56df978b-9a76-487e-80b7-0250289f2579/domainrename.exe
Exchange 2003 in the Forest?
If Exchange 2003 is in the Forest you need additional to follow antother KB and
use the Exchange Fixup-Tools:
842116 Supplemental steps for using the Exchange Server Domain Rename Fixup tool together with the Windows Server 2003 domain rename tools http://support.microsoft.com?id=842116
Exchange Server Domain Rename Fixup (XDR-Fixup) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24b47d4a-c4b9-4031-b491-29839148a28c&displaylang=en
You are welcome to E-Mail comments, feedback or general Problems with this WebSite to
WebMaster. The WebSites of WindowsServerFAQ.de and/or WindowsServerFAQ.org
are not related to Microsoft Corp. USA or to Microsoft GmbH. Copyright 2004.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You have to accept the Disclaimer
and the legal Annotations to use the WebSites of WindowsServerFAQ.de or WindowsServerFAQ.org.